Democracy Cannot Be Bullied, but Scott Walker Can Be Recalled


I was invited to speak at the Recall Rally in Madison because I've been outspoken on the subject of education and the damage Scott Walker's administration has done to our schools. The death threat I received last week was not related, and did not deter me from speaking at this event. If anything, it strengthened my resolve and my conviction that we need to restore the rule of reason to Wisconsin and send a strong message that we will not give up in our fight to defend our own future. I am humbled that I was invited to speak, and enormously grateful for all the support I've received  - and I'd especially like to thank Chief Tubbs and the Capitol Police for taking things so seriously and being so professional and kind. 

Since February, I've been shouting monologues into the wind - writing to Scott Walker with full knowledge that he does not care what we have to say, that he will not (under any circumstances, apparently) respond.  At this rally, though, I was able to engage in a dialogue with so many people who are just trying to say the same thing: Walker's "tools" are destroying our state. Walker's "reforms" are turning us backward. Walker's arrogant disregard for the welfare of our kids and our future, and his staggering fiscal irresponsibility, have created a Wisconsin we no longer recognize.

Scott Walker wants us to think his "reforms" are working. He wants us to think he can just cut funds to infrastructure and not worry about the bridge collapsing. Well, the bridge isn't going to collapse today. Or tomorrow. But it WILL collapse. And I don't want my kids, or your kids, or any of our grandchildren to be standing on it when it does.

Regular people have an opportunity and an obligation to stand up right now and take a stand. We need to stand up for our kids and promise them that we will not just stand around and wait until the bridge collapses. We are going to fight to have it restored, and we are going to invest in making sure it's stronger than ever.

I have made that promise to my own children, and I am committed to seeing it through. FORWARD. It's the only way to go.  Dialogue: it could happen!  All you need to do is sign the petition.


 Speaking on education at the Recall Walker Rally in Madison, Nov. 19, 2011

1 comment: