I saw your great blog on the 5 actions to recall Walker - it was great!
I voted yesterday at the early vote rally with Russ Feingold. My personal culmination of 16 months of outrage and hard work (though there's 2 weeks of hard work left to go) - it was very emotional. I almost got teary and was wishing that I had brought my son along with me to make a family memory of this important event. I am thinking we should promote the heck out of early voting: No need to wait! Bring your friends, bring your family, bring your neighbors and do your civic duty by kicking Walker's butt out of office (also Kleefisch and 4 Republican Senators voting lockstep with Walker)!
The recall information is coming fast and furious these days. Thank you for your valuable part in getting the word out! Below is some key info I have been sharing - please distribute whatever you find useful:
1) A list of Barrett for Wisconsin field offices - we are asking people to volunteer, volunteer, volunteer, especially for the Get Out The Vote drives Sat June 2nd through election day Tuesday June 5th.2) Early voting started Monday May 21st and goes through Friday June 1st at municipal clerk's offices. Please bring friends, family, and friendly acquaintances to vote early, especially seniors and other people who may have a hard time getting to the polls or to their municipal clerk's office. Find out city clerk's office locations for early voting or for sending absentee ballots, etc. - the list is alphabetical by county. Click here for a great, general guide to voting rights from the ACLU.
3) Extended early voting hours - even on this weekend and Memorial Day morning - a good option for people who cannot get off from work - to vote in Madison and Milwaukee. Flyers for these extended hours are attached. People cannot vote on the weekend or Monday before the election (Shameful voter suppression) because that part of the Voter ID Law is still in effect.
4) In Madison, Union Cab (608-242-2000) is giving free rides to voters going to the polls. I don't know if cab companies or bus companies from other cities are doing this but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
5) A great one pager on voting info from Wisconsin League of Women Voters and ACLU that emphasizes that photo ID is NOT needed for June 5 is given in the following links - English and Spanish. The pdf English version is also attached. For overall voter basics, the http://www.ownyourvotewi.com/ site is the place to go.
6) Lilly Ledbetter (plaintiff in the equal pay for women Supreme Court case that led to the law that Obama signed early in his administration) will be visiting the Madison Bassett Street office this Wednesday, May 23, at 4:15 p.m. and we ask volunteers who would like to meet her to be at 210 North Bassett Street by 4 pm. The timing works out well for those attending the early vote rally on the Square at 5 pm with Mahlon Mitchell and Jon Erpenbach.
7) There are multiple early vote rallies planned throughout the state. I know you are closest to Madison, but please share the latest confirmed information below with your contacts who are in other parts of the state. There are some others in the works as well!
Thanks so much for everything you do! Together we will get this job done.
Statewide early voting events:
Thursday May 24- Wausau @noon
400 Block- Downtown Wausau
Special Guests Former Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton, Rep. Donna Seidel and Pat Kreitlow (Candidate for Congress)
Early voting afterwards at City Clerk's office 407 Grant St. Wausau, WI 54403
Thursday May 24- Racine @noon
George Bray Center 924 Center St.
Special Guests Mahlon Mitchell, John Lehman
Early voting afterwards 730 Washington Ave. Racine 53403
Thursday May 24- Beloit @noon
Field office 314 State St.
Special Guests Judy Robson, Rep. Janis Ringhand
Early voting afterwards 100 State St. Beloit, WI 53511
Saturday May 26- Madison @11:30
30 Rotary Plaza 100 N. Hamilton next to Children's Museum
With Special Guests Sen. Jon Erpenbach and Sen. Mark Miller
Early Voting afterward at City-County Bldg. 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd Madison 53703
Wednesday May 30- Superior @noon
Field office 1810 Belknap St Superior, WI 54480
With Special Guests Sen. Bob Jauch and Rep. Nick Milroy
Early Voting afterward at City Clerk's office 1316 N. 14th St. Room 200 Superior, WI
Wednesday May 30- Stevens Point @noon
Pfiffner Park near bandshell 2442 Sims Ave Stevens Point 54481
Special Guest- Former Lt. Gov Barbara Lawton
Early voting at 1515 Strongs Ave. Stevens Point 54481
Wednesday May 30- Janesville @noon
Field office 111 W. Milwaukee St.
Special Guest- Sen. Tim Cullen
Early voting at 18 N. Jackson Janesville, WI 53548
Wednesday May 30- Appleton @noon
City Park 500 E. Franklin
Special Guest- Rep. Penny Bernard-Schaber
Early voting at 100 N. Appleton St. Appleton, WI 54911
Thursday May 31- Milwaukee @noon
Cathedral Square corner of Wells and Jackson
Special Guest- Mahlon Mitchell
Early voting at Milwaukee Municipal Building 841 N. Broadway Room 102 Milwaukee 53202